Sign up for our e-Newsletter
- 06/2012 - Since the fall of the Taliban in 2001, Afghanistan’s economy has significantly improved. There remain, however, many challenges to doing business in this South Asian country.
- 02-19-2010 - When you're doing business in any country, it's important to know what to expect – and what's expected of you. Here are some basics that will help you get off to a good start if you're planning on doing business in Argentina.
- 08/30/2010 - Australia is one of the Asia-Pacific's richest countries. As an internationally competitive producer of services, technologies, and high-value-added manufactured goods, this country-continent is now in its 18th year of uninterrupted economic expansion.
- 1/28/08 - Formerly East Pakistan, Bangladesh only came into being as a separate country in 1971 when the two parts of Pakistan split after a bitter civil war. How has this small but densely populated Asian country fared since?
- 06/27/2011 - They may not be natural resources, but beer and chocolate could easily be called national treasures in Belgium. Read on the find out what else this western European country has to offer.
- Republic of Botswana
- 2/21/2006 - Since attaining independence from Britain in 1966, Botswana’s economic progress has been one of the greatest success stories of the African continent.
- 01-26-2010 - Brazil is expanding its presence in world markets. Its economy outweighs that of all other South American countries. And, it was one of the last countries to go into recession in 2008 and among the first to resume growth in 2009. Our report includes ABC-Amega's recommendations for collecting on accounts in Brazil based on our experience in the country.
- 12-8-2011 - Politically stable since 1997, this Southeast Asian country has been slowly and steadily emerging from a brutal, war-torn past.
- 12/14/2009 - Strong economic fundamentals, prudent fiscal management and a good business environment continue to be hallmarks of this second largest country in the world -- Canada.
- 10-22-2012 - Chile boasts the best performing economy in Latin America and is considered a model of economic stability. Find out more about this "Shoestring Country" that runs along the western coast of southern South America.
- 04/25/08 - China’s vast potential as a growing market and supplier has attracted notice at all levels of business, both import and export. This report features valuable information from ABC-Amega’s experience and expertise in doing business in China. A ‘must-read’ for anyone considering expanding to or already involved in trade with China.
- 02/20/2013 - Colombia is the only country that has never requested a renegotiation of its debt. This reputation as an exemplary debtor, plus a substantial market size and variety of natural resources has allowed Colombia to make progress as an emerging economy since 2011
- Credit and Collection Challenges in China
- 6/29/2005 - China has always provided intriguing puzzles to be solved. Credit and collection management is one of them.
- Doing Business in China
- 09/25/2006 - Highlights from the Q&A section of a webinar on doing business in China presented to the members of the Association of Executives in Credit and International Business (FCIB) in August 2006 by Julian Chen, COO for FCIB-China.
- Whither the Yuan?
- 12/18/2003 - Could allowing the yuan to float be a key to stimulating US economic recovery by making US companies more competitive internationally? Hans Belcsak looks at how a floating yuan would effect the US, China and all of Asia.
- Costa Rica
- 05-04-09 - A Central American standout – Costa Rica’s political stability, strong democratic institutions, and low violent crime rates have helped it to distinguish itself from its neighbors.
- Historic Referendum Sets Stage for Costa Rican Ratificaton of CAFTA
- 10/22/2007 - As the result of an unprecedented move by its government, Costa Rica, the only hold out to ratification of the Central American Free Trade Agreement with the US, is finally on course for implementation of the pact.
- Czech Republic
- 09/26/2012 - The economic progress made by the Czech Republic since becoming an independent country in 1993 has been impressive. Today it has one of the most developed economies in the European Union.
- 4/26/2012 - Ecuador is an interesting nation that has adopted the US dollar as its national currency and was the first to declare that nature has constitutional rights. On the business side of things, however, there are a number of issues that can increase costs and raise the risk of doing business in Ecuador. See the Dispute Resolution section of our report for details.
- 10/31/2011 - This month's country report focuses on Egypt – a country that has had a significant presence in the MENA (Middle East North Africa) region from the time of the ancients to the present.
- Collecting Commercial Debt in Egypt
- 10/31/2011 - ABC-Amega’s correspondent attorneys in Alexandria provide an inside look at collecting debt in this North African country - Egypt.
- European Union 101
- 06-23-08 -- The European Union has ability to influence both the global economy and international policy. Here's the basics that will give you a better understanding of what this economic entity is and how it operates.
- 9/26/2011 - Here's one for the water cooler crowd: In France, the practice of “bossnapping” is generally deemed acceptable – as long as workers refrain from violence and release the executive within a couple of days. For more information about this month's country, including a report on ABC-Amega's collection experience in France, read on.
- 7/28/09 - This month we take a look at Germany – an export powerhouse and the largest economy in Europe.
- 2/29/2008 - A well-administered country by regional standards, Ghana is challenged on a number of levels including infrastructure, human resource development, and establishing a business environment that encourages private sector led growth.
- 3/31/2010 - It's the merchant fleet capital of the world. But is everything smooth sailing for this EU member? Like the seas she sails, things are up and down when it comes to the Greek economy and business environment.
- 04-26-2013 - Hungary has been in the news recently due to the EU's concern over recent changes in its constitution which may be a threat to democracy within this member state.
- Hong Kong
- 2-24-2011 - Hong Kong is #1 – on the 2011 Index of Economic Freedom, and in the number of skyscrapers and Rolls Royces (per person) than any other city in the world. It's also a strategic platform for companies seeking to do business in China and the rest of Asia. This report includes some valuable insights on doing business in the country from ABC-Amega's International Operations Asst VP.
- 11/17/2010 - Even before U.S. President Obama's recent visit, India has been generating a lot of interest in the international business community.
- Non-Sufficient Funds in India: Any Recourse?
- 08-19-2011 - A Q&A session looks at the problem of NSF checks in India. The article, originally published in the June 2011 issue of the ICTF (The Association of International Credit and Trade Finance Professionals) Magazine, features ABC-Amega Senior Vice President and General Manager Al Steinhart, is reprinted with permission.
- 07/30/08 - Indonesia, the world's fourth most populous nation, currently appears to be holding its own despite a deteriorating global environment.
- 8-22-09 - Iran’s position on terrorism and nuclear development has placed it under US, UN and EU economic sanctions and export controls. The nation figures prominently in world events, however, and some countries do have trade relations with Iran. Whether yours is among them or not, you’ll find this report an excellent thumbnail of its government, economy and business climate.
- 09-26-2009 - Here’s a look at the business and economic side of this country that often dominates the news.
- 6/22/08 - The Republic of Ireland – economy, business climate, risk factors, and more.
- Legal Procedures for Collecting Debts in Ireland
- 06/26/08 - Ireland, like other jurisdictions, has its own legal procedures and enforcement options allowing creditors to pursue outstanding debtors through the Courts. These are discussed here in an article by the Irish law firm of Mason Hayes+Curran.
- 07.25.2011 - The cell phone, voicemail technology, and the first PC anti-virus software were all developed at R&D centers in Israel. Perhaps even more impressive is the way this Middle Eastern country aggressively controls its consumer debt.
- 5/27/10 - It's the fourth largest European economy and is ranked as the world's seventh-largest market economy. But, like many countries in the eurozone currently, not everything is sunny in Italy.
- 12/15/2010 - Almost three-fourths of Japan consists of mountains, including two hundred volcanoes. They experience around 1,500 earthquakes every year. No surprise there, I guess. Fascinating geological information. But what about the economy, the business climate, dispute resolution, etc.? Read on.
- Korea (South)
- Over the past four decades, South Korea has demonstrated incredible growth and global integration becoming a high-tech industrialized economy and one of the world’s premier trading nations.
- 6/21/2009 - Dominated by the oil industry and government sector, this small oil-rich country stands to weather the current global downturn rather well.
- 03-30-2008 - A country which has sustained strong economic growth, a stable currency and low inflation for the past three decades, Malaysia is an emerging multi-sector economy.
- 10/28/09 - There are a number of things you can do to improve debt collection in Mexico. In addition to our usual in-depth look at this country, this report lets you tap into ABC-Amega’s international claims experience. Find out what you should to do before engaging in commercial transactions with customers in Mexico.
- Reducing Risks on Credit Sales into Mexico - 1
- 12/27/2006 - Every credit sale into Mexico should be treated as if it may end up in litigation. Developing a game plan will help guarantee your chances of winning should legal action be required.
- Reducing Risks on Credit Sales into Mexico - 2
- 2/15/2007 - When you're selling into Mexico, running a credit report and checking trade references is just the tip of the iceberg. Part 2 of this series reveals important elements that should be part of your game plan if you don't want to get sunk by bad debt.
- Reducing Risks on Credit Sales into Mexico - 3
- 3/26/2007 - Part 3 of this series covers the various legal remedies available in Mexico, which are most creditor-friendly, and the pros and cons of arbitration or legal action in Mexico.
- Reducing Risks on Credit Sales into Mexico - 4
- 4/23/2007 - In this final installment of our four-part series on Reducing Risks on Credit Sales Into Mexico, you'll find out about selecting the country venue for legal action against a debtor and procedures for enforcing awards in Mexico.
- 10/23/2007 - Morocco has been a gateway to trade with Europe, Africa, and the Middle East for more than a thousand years. It enjoys significant assets including proximity to the European market, natural resources, vast tourist potential, and political stability.
- An Overview of Collections in Morocco and North Africa
- 11/28/2007 - Effective international collections requires more than a well-defined process. Nowhere is this more important then when doing business in Morocco and other countries in North Africa.
- 12/17/2007 - One of the world's most densely populated nations, The Netherlands boasts an open trade and investment policy that places the Dutch economy among the most internationally oriented in the world.
- 05-30-2008 -- Although the government has taken a few preliminary steps, a number of serious difficulties continue to create obstacles to formal business in Nigeria, the most populous African country.
- 09/28/2010 - You know it as "Land of the Midnight Sun" with one of the longest and most rugged coastlines in the world – and some of the best tasting fish dishes anywhere. But what about Norway in terms of economy, business climate, and risk assessment?
- 08/27/08 - Pakistan has emerged in prominence for a number of reasons over the past several years. But what do you really know about this country from an economic and business standpoint? We’ll bring you up to date.
- 02/27/2012 - Panama's strategic location as a land bridge between two oceans and the meeting of two continents has made it a transport hub and an international trading, banking, and services center.
- 11-14-2008: Red tape and a cumbersome legal system can make doing business in Peru a two-edged sword: attractive but difficult.
- 05/28/2013 - The government of the Philippines plans to open the country to increased foreign investment in industries such as business processing operations, mining and tourism. This move may be hindered, however, by restrictions on foreign ownership of land and public utilities.
- 12/17/2012 - Trade and economic reforms have transformed Poland into one of the most robust economies in Central Europe. Learn more about this country that has produced 17 Nobel Prize winners and has managed to be the only country in the EU to avoid a recession during the 2008-09 economic downturn.
- 03-22-2013 - Portugal's progress toward becoming an increasingly service-based and diversified economy stalled in 2009 when economic conditions in the EU plunged the country into a deep recession. Still heavily dependent on the financial environment in the EU, Portugal nevertheless continues to attract foreign investors. Read to find out why.
- 07/2012 - Rich agricultural lands, diverse energy sources, a substantial industrial base, and an educated work force make Romania a country of considerable potential. Unfortunately, however, widespread public-sector corruption and poor enforcement of commercial laws remain a serious barrier to business.
- 01-24-2012 - Russia is the largest country in the world. It constitutes one-seventh of the world’s landmass, spans eight time zones, and covers one-half of the Northern Hemisphere. Here's an update on business and economic conditions in this geographical giant.
- Saudi Arabia
- 12/05/2008 - ABC-Amega’s experience in Saudi Arabia suggests that collections can be accomplished from Saudi debtors – assuming creditors are aware of several important factors.
- 3-26-09 - Singapore's strategic location on major sea lanes, coupled with its pro-foreign investment and export oriented policy framework, has allowed its small economy to be one of the most competitive and flexible in the world.
- 03-26-2012 - Slovakia became an independent nation in 1993 following a peaceful separation from Czechoslovakia. In 2009, it joined the EU. Learn more about this growing economy situated in the geographical center of Europe.
- South Africa
- 8/19/2011 - While daunting economic problems remain from the apartheid era, South Africa is nevertheless recognized as an economic and political heavyweight on the continent.
- 3/29/2010 - If all you know about this member of the European Union is what you learned in your high school Spanish class, it's time for an update.
- A Spanish Law Firm Looks at Collections
- 12/17/2007 - An ABC-Amega affiliate law firm provides valuable insights into handling commercial debt collection in Spain.
- 10-20-08 -- Although lacking in natural resources, Switzerland has one of the world's most advanced and prosperous economies. What’s the key to Swiss prosperity?
- 05-26-09: There is an interesting aspect of Taiwanese business law that may help creditors protect their interest in goods sold until they are paid for.
- 09-18-08 - Generally considered a business-friendly economy (despite some rampant corruption), Thailand offers favorable investment incentives to foreign businesses.
- 05/10/2011 - Travelers and business-types alike find Turkey a fascinating country. In fact, it's one of the ten most visited countries in the world. So this month our country report takes you to this land rooted in antiquity and keeping pace with the challenges of the 21st century.
- Debt Collection in Turkey
- 05/10/2011 - ABC-Amega Turkish legal partner Zeynap Kanra of TBS Turam & Dönmez provides an informative overview of the collection process in Turkey. Her topics include pre-litigation procedures, filing a suit, arbitration, bankruptcy, and more.
- 6/28/2010 - Ukraine has the potential to become a major European economy. However, complex and vague laws and regulations, poor corporate governance, and weak enforcement by the courts has discouraged broad foreign direct investment in that country.
- United Arab Emirates
- 01-28-2013 - While oil and global finance have been main drivers of the UAE's economy, expansion of the Emirate’s role as a regional business center is considered crucial to its economic development.
- United Kingdom
- 4/27/2010 - A major international trading power, the United Kingdom -- England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland -- comprises the third-largest economy in the European Union, and the sixth-largest economy in the world.
- United States of America
- 05/29/2012 - This informative overview includes three "must know" pointers on doing credit and collections in the US, including links to valuable additional information on each.
- 01-24-2011 - What effect has Venezuela's struggle to emerge from its current financial difficulties had on opportunities in the Venezuelan market?
- 07-28-2010 - Vietnam is a country in transition. Moving from a centrally planned economy to a 'market economy with socialist orientation' , it's becoming one of the fastest growing economies in Asia.